“Rules of Engagement”

crosswords for these troubling times

[.puz][PDF][Solution] πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’β“

Crap crap crap. Ok, so, I totally screwed up this puzzle’s theme. See 72-Across for details. EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE, just give me like 2 days tops and check back here. That is all.

8/24 Update! Theme completed:

26 Responses

1. Kelly Clark says:

Oh! Oh! OH!!!!! Yes! Yes! YES!!!

HOORAY!!!

2. Kathy says:

Really? Congrats!

3. Dominick Clark says:

Ross – My ears are ringing with another ad jingle for a toy from the early 60’s. It was for a plastic replica digit called Six Finger, which somehow attached to a child’s hand, performing multiple functions such as a drawing and erasing device, a mini flashlight, tiny squirt gun, etc. Like a finger sized Swiss Army knife for kids. It went like this:
    “6 Finger, 6 Finger, man alive. How could I ever get by with 5?” For real!
    I try to solve these puzzles as a fun and rewarding exercise to stave off mental atrophy. As a byproduct, buried ads, songs and memories spring to mind and I am compelled to share them for better or worse. Many thanks!

4. Parker Higgins says:

πŸ₯ΊπŸ₯ΊπŸ₯Ί

5. Mary Walsh says:

Congratulations! Wonderful companion puzzle to today’s NYT

6. rosstrudeau says:

Thanks, Mary! Glad you appreciated the *symmetry* πŸ™‚

7. Pat says:

VERY happy to get the puzzle theme and see the picture! Congratulations.

8. Jean D. says:

Loved the back-to-back puzzles, and now the photo. What a lovely way to make your announcement. Congratulations!

9. Ben Bass says:

Exceptionally stylish execution. 15/10. Congrats to the happy couple!

10. Charles Montpetit says:

So… does this mean that no thumb is forthcoming? I was SO wondering how you’d manage to cross that with a ring!

11. Ellen Kaplan says:

Congratulations! Kept checking back for the β€œreveal.” Thanks for including your subscribers on the happy news.

12. Blaine says:

Y’know, I sorta wondered on Sunday. But I figured it might be just the romantic in me. Turns out it was the romantic in you. Congratulations, you both.

13. Awwww … what a wonderfully romantic thing to do! I’ve been busy all week, so I’m late to the party, but I’m delighted to be in on the surprise and to add my congratulations … πŸ˜€